ISA awardees should review the Award Presentation for guidelines on how to access awarded travel funds. All students travelling abroad – regardless of funding status – must:
- Check for IRB Compliance – Federal regulations and university policies require Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval for research with human subjects. This applies whether the research is conducted by faculty or students, by individuals or a group. Failure to obtain proper approval in advance may jeopardize your data, prevent you from publishing the results, and place you and the university in violation of federal regulations. For more details, click here.
- Review Travel Warnings -The University of North Carolina endeavors to balance the value of participation in international educational activities against the potential risk to its students and employees of such participation. In balancing these factors, the University relies on information from the U.S. Department of State, most particularly the Travel Warnings issued periodically by that agency, and information in the Travel Notices issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. For more details, click here.
- Review all Recommendations at http://studentsabroad.state.gov/. These will help you prepare for your trip and access resources in the event of an emergency. Students traveling to countries on the State Department warning list must submit the relevant additional form. Please contact Shelley Clarke for this form.
- Sign up for Travel Insurance – ISA travel awards are automatically adjusted to include the cost of international travel insurance, which can be purchased through HTH.com. If you wish to decline this insurance and you meet the requirements, please complete Student Participant Hard Waiver-UNCIP Minimum Insurance Requirements Questionnaire.
- Register at the UNC Global Travel Registry - This is a UNC service that provides campus leaders with information about where students are currently traveling. Travelers’ info is not stored long-term, but is used during any emergency. Students traveling on University-sponsored programs, such as study abroad and research work, must register. http://globaltravel.unc.edu/login.cfm